It’s a good idea to have your personal belongings covered by contents insurance – even if you have very few possessions. But beware, insurance policies are riddled with get-out clauses.
Here are 10 tips you should know about:
1. Never assume your policy covers you for everything
2. Cheap insurance doesn’t always pay
3. Be careful when completing claim forms
4. White lies don’t pay
5. Don’t let dodgy people on the property
6. Disclose criminal history
7. You’re responsible for damage to your landlord’s policy
8. If you work from home your equipment you use will have limits applied to them
9. Read the policy!
10. Complain if you think you’re in the right